So far, we can count the number of animals we've seen in the jungle on one hand. But last night there were definitely things creeping around our camp.
There's no mistaking the sound of a wild pig digging around in search of food or the screech of howler monkeys in the trees above. It's the more subtle sounds that make you worry like twigs snapping, the rustle of leaves in a nearby bush or the soft thump of something walking on your mosquito net. The last noise was the worst. I could hear it clearly, right above my head, but it was pitch black and be damned if I was going to turn on the torch to see what it was. Instead, I gave the net a gentle push upwards. The sound stopped for a second, then I heard it again, the plop, plop, plop of something walking on my net. A second push and it was gone, leaving me to hope that I didn't just upset a tarantula or flesh-eating rodent (yes, I am sure they exist).
No comments:
Post a Comment